Bible Questions

Journey with me through a study of the Epistle of James and beyond. Each entry is a question, and with it the answer I propose. Your answers and all relavant discussion are also welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

Current Study Verse James 1:3 (ESV)

2 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Friday, June 24, 2005

1.1.2 How does James identify himself?

James 1:1 “James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the 12 tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings.”

James here identified himself as a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. Assuming he was the Lord’s half-brother, it seems telling to me that he identified himself in this way and didn’t use his clout as Jesus’ sibling. Of course how could we expect otherwise? With this opening remark it seems he is placing himself at a level equal to other believers and below the level of his pseudo-sibling - God incarnate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I'll be following along on this study, looks like it will be interesting. You might want to check out E-Sword, a free bible study program. It's been a fantastic resource to me, it might be something you enjoy as well.

6/24/2005 7:54 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

Thanks. You're the first to comment on my public site. I'm up to verse 12 on my xanga site, but I'm keeping this site strictly to the study. Well, for now at least.

6/25/2005 4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home